CHOCOLATE CAKE IN CRISPY WAFFLE
By: Sofitel Athens Airport chef
Level of Difficulty: Medium
For the chocolate mousse
100g heavy cream
120g egg yolk
1 vanilla stick
15g gelatin sheets
450g dark chocolate
500g whipped cream
- In a small pot, pour the milk, sugar and heavy cream.
- While boiling, add the half mixture in the egg yolks and mix very quickly.
- Pour the mixture in chinois back to the small pot and mix the crème anglaise until the temperature rises to 82 degrees.
- Remove the crème anglaise from heat and place it in a different bowl.
- Now add the gelatin sheets and chocolate and blend until the mixture’s temperature is 32 degrees.
- Last but not least, pour the mixture in whipped cream and mix with a “maryse” spatula.
For the premix fegetin
65g milk chocolate
- Melt the chocolate and pour it in praline.
- Place it in the fegetin and mix very well.
For the strawberry sauce
100g strawberry purée
1 vanilla stick
2g lime zests
- Heat up the purée, vanilla and the lime zests to 55 degrees.
- Add the agar and turn the heat to 62 degrees.
For the chocolate biscuit
120g dark chocolate
50g egg yolk
125g egg white
- Beat the egg whites quickly until they form a fluffy cloud (meringue).
- Then, add sugar and the egg yolks.
- Pour chocolate and butter in the meringue and mix with a “maryse” spatula again.
- Spread the (biscuit) mixture in a parchment paper and bake to 200 degrees for 14 minutes.
For the pastry gun chocolate garnish
200g dark chocolate
200g cocoa butter
- Melt the chocolate and cocoa butter.
- Freeze and place them.
How to serve:
- In a silicon mold, pour halfway up the chocolate mousse.
- Freeze it for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and pour the strawberry puree in the middle.
- Add the rest of chocolate mousse.
- This time, freeze it for 4 hours.
- Take the chocolate biscuit and spread on it the fegetin.
- Place it in the freezer for 20 minutes and cut 5×5.
- Take off the silicone mold and add the chocolate mousse on the biscuit with fegetin.
- Spray chocolate with the pastry gun to create a round shape all over the chocolate mousse.