EBD: ATHENS, RHODES, MILOS ARE ‘EUROPEAN BEST DETINATIONS’ FOR 2023
In its 13th edition, EBD’s online competition collected a record of 686,244 votes from 178 countries. The 20 best destinations were selected from 400 cities. The online voting process ran from January 20 until February 10.
“Over half a million travellers from 178 countries have voted for the European Best Destinations 2023,” the competition’s organizer said in an announcement.
Warsaw in Poland was elected European Best Destination for 2023 with a total of 142,081 votes, a record of votes since the creation of the competition.
Athens – 2nd place, 91,023 votes
EBD: “The capital of Greece is a must-see destination for many reasons. First of all, it is the cradle of democracy and philosophy. Many assume that the blue of the sea, the incredible landscapes, and the beautiful sunlight help spirits escape from everyday life and arise.
Rhodes -14th place, 14,837 votes
EBD: “The island of Rhodes is a perfect destination for lovers of old stones, heritage, fortresses and castles. You like history? This sublime medieval city is one of the best preserved in Europe, so do not miss a visit to the Palace of the Grand Master. When visiting Rhodes do not miss the Ancient Acropolis of Lindos, the historic Rhodes Old Town or just relax on Agios Pavlos beach.
EBD: “Milos Island is one of the best places for a dream holiday in Greece. Voted one of the Best Places to visit in Europe in 2023, you have also classified Milos Island among the Best Natural Pools in Europe, Best Beaches in Europe (Sarakiniko Beach and its famous volcanic rocks which offer sunbathers a lunar scenery). It is also classified among the Best Sculptures in Europe with the Venus of Milo now exhibited in Paris and discovered by a peasant on the island of Milos in Greece by pure chance. Finally Milos is obviously ranked among your Most Beautiful Islands in Greece.”
Most of contest’s votes from outside Europe
According to EBD, 48 percent of the votes for the European Best Destinations 2023 competition were from Europe and the remaining 52 percent were from non-European countries.
“This is the largest proportion of votes outside Europe since the creation of this event. This year more than ever, foreign travellers show a strong interest in travelling to Europe,” EBD said.