Level of difficulty: medium
Preparation time: 2 hours
900 g all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
4 teaspoon(s) ginger, powder
4 teaspoon(s) cinnamon, powder
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) cloves, powder
1 teaspoon(s) pepper, ground
1 teaspoon(s) salt
225 g butter
200-300 g brown sugar
300 g honey
candies, for embellishment
- Preheat the oven to 180*.
- Cream the butter and sugar, in a mixer, until light and fluffy!
- Combine the flour with the remaining dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In the meantime, add the eggs, one at a time, to the mixer. When completely combined, add the honey.
- Now add the flour mixture to the mixer. Mix just until everything is combined, not for too long. Divide into 4 parts and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour or mixture becomes firm.
- Roll out the dough using more flour, in between two sheets of parchment paper. Make a sheet of dough about 3-4 cm thick. Cut out the shapes by using the pattern for the houses. Transfer the pieces to baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Stick the pieces together with Royal Icing and use a cutting board or wooden base to help you. Quite a generous amount of icing will be needed for the pieces to stick together properly. Allow to dry before decorating.
- Put some royal icing in a piping bag to decorate the little house. You can embellish it further by using colored candy, jelly beans, marshmallows and pieces of dark and light chocolate, etc.