200 YEARS OF FREEDOM
These proposals concern events that highlight i) the Greek Revolution as a leading historical event of its time with an international dimension, ii) the trajectory of the Modern Greek State during these 200 years and iii) the great personalities who marked this path. Most of the actions, however, will open a window into the future, leaving a legacy for tomorrow. This mainly concerns actions with a development orientation aiming to make citizens’ lives better, while creating new opportunities for the next generations.
The Commission has ensured that 250 self-funded proposals for actions and events are being prepared, with the approval and provision of the Committee, while 120 actions scheduled by local authorities are under approval. The aim is to organize many more events that funded by sponsors or by the Committee.
The celebrations and events will be based on the following four pillars set by the Committee “Greece 2021”:
1. The Greek Revolution of 1821 as a pivotal chapter in Greek history and a piece in the puzzle of world history
The goal of this pillar is to comprehend the Greek Revolution of 1821, to highlight its significance, its relationship with other revolutions and wars for independence that flared up at approximately the same time, and the effect it had on the rest of the world and how it was affected by it.
2. Greece today, 200 years after independence
The goal of this pillar is to highlight the dynamic components of contemporary Greek society through the creativity and participation of foundations, universities, local authorities, research institutes, cultural institutes, as well as individuals, etc.
3. Greeks who left their mark on the world in the last 200 years
The goal of this pillar is to feature the lives and work of Greeks who left their mark on Greece and the world, in science and arts, won Nobel prizes and Academy Awards, saved thousands of lives with their scientific discoveries and won world recognition and respect.
4. 2021 as a window of opportunity for the future of Greece
This pillar refers to the driving forces that can contribute to Greece’s development in the future emphasizing on the country’s response to big challenges such as climate change, sustainable growth, peace and international collaboration, 4th Industrial Revolution etc.
In this framework, four emblematic actions will be implemented by the Committee and more precisely:
1. The organization of an international Forum under the theme “Greece in 2040” where Greek scientists, world-renowned personalities but also the Greek society will map the country’s path to the future.
2. The creation of a Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence, an initiative that will put Greece at the forefront of the global technological avant-garde.
3. The “Festival of the Cities”, an action with simultaneous celebrations next summer in 51 cities in Greece, in the capital cities of the country’s prefectures.
4. The action “Walking in the Footsteps of 1821”, through which 200 young people will travel on historical routes associated with the Greek Revolution in 40 cities throughout Europe.
As the Committee “Greece 2021” is not receiving any state funding, an important part of its financial resources will come from the Committee’s Numismatic Program. This unique program concerns the issuance of 14 coins (two bimetallic, eight silver and four gold) of rare collectible value, with illustrations that constitute a journey into the history of modern Greece. The coins will be distributed directly by the Committee via an e-shop that will start its operation soon, while a priority list is provided due to the limited number of coins. The delivery will gradually start from the end of January. In addition to its great emotional and commemorative value, the distribution of this collection will contribute to the financing and implementation of even more actions.