IT’S COOKING TIME AT HOME: THE BRUNCH CONCEPT
1. A-Straw-Nut Smoothie
- In a mixing bowl, add Greek yogurt, coconut milk and all of your fruits.
- If you wish, you can use raspberries or other red forest fruits instead of strawberries.
- For serving, you can add grated nuts, basil and black pepper or even chocolate on the top of your smoothie!
2. Fluffy pancakes
1/2 cup almond flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tbsp honey, or maple syrup
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
ghee, butter or coconut oil to coat skillet
- Whisk all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all of the wet ingredients. Then, add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until well combined.
- Heat a skillet or griddle on medium-high heat and coat with ghee, butter or coconut oil.
- Spoon the batter onto the skillet, keeping your pancakes approximately 3-4 inches in diameter. They’re much easier to flip smaller. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, bananas and other toppings.
3. Poached eggs with asparagus and prosciutto
a bunch of asparagus
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lemon, juiced and zested
4 slices of prosciutto
parmigiano reggiano, for garnish (optional)
salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Separately, heat the oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the minced garlic, lemon juice and zest and asparagus spears. Sauté and use tongs to move the asparagus around until they are cooked through, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Once the pot of water has come to a boil, reduce the heat to low and ensure that no bubbles are breaking the surface.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then reduce to low (or turn off the heat)
- Crack the egg in a fine mesh sieve (over a small bowl) and remove the liquid whites.
- Transfer the egg to a small ramekin or bowl. Add one tablespoon of light-colored vinegar to the pot and stir to create a vortex.
- Pour the ramekin with the egg into the middle of the vortex and set a timer for 3 minutes. Once the egg is done, use a slotted spoon to remove the poached egg. Dab with a paper towel to remove excess water and eat immediately.
- To assemble, add a few asparagus spears to a plate, top with a slice of prosciutto, add a poached egg, season with salt and pepper and garnish with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano.
4. Arugula, asparagus and avocado salad
For the salad
22 stalks asparagus
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups arugula
1 cup microgreens
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
For the lemon vinaigrette
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp shallot, finely diced
1/4 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper
- Wash and trim the asparagus. Cut into thin pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan on medium-high heat. Add the asparagus pieces, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a small pot of water on high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and with a spoon, carefully add the eggs. Immediately set a timer for 6 1/2 minutes for soft-boiled eggs.
- While the eggs are boiling, create an ice-water bath in a bowl.
- Make the lemon vinaigrette by whisking together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside.
- When the eggs are done, remove them from the pot with your spoon and immediately submerge in the ice-water bath, to stop the cooking process.
- Assemble the salads by dividing up the arugula and microgreens between two bowls, add the asparagus and sunflower seeds.
- Peel and slice the avocado, adding a 1/4 avocado to each serving. Peel the eggs, slice in half and add to the salads. Drizzle the lemon vinaigrette on top.