IT’S COOKING TIME: SHRIMP ORZO
15 shrimps, fresh or frozen
200ml olive oil
400 g barley
2 medium dry onions
1 medium zucchini
1 medium leek
1 Florina pepper
1 chili pepper
2 medium carrots
1 medium fennel
10 tomato cherries
40g tomato puree
3 garlic cloves
200 ml dry white wine
20 g sweet powdered paprika
A bunch of parsley
A bunch of thyme
- Clean the shrimps very well and keep the heads and peel for the broth.
- Finely chop one onion and one garlic clove. Then cut into pieces the zucchini, fennel and pepper.
- Cut the chili peppers into slices and the cherry tomatoes in half.
- To prepare the broth, pour some olive oil into a saucepan.
- Add the tomato puree and sauté for a while with the shrimp heads and peel.
- Now, add two onions, sliced in quarters along with two carrots, the half of fennel, the half of leek and sauté until they turn brown. Put in the laurel, thyme and some pepper.
- Add the wine and stir, until all of the alcohol has evaporated.
- Pour in water until all ingredients are covered and cook on low heat for 25 minutes. Strain very well.
- In a pan, add olive oil and sauté the vegetables you have chopped earlier.
- Add paprika, salt and pepper and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Keep the mixture aside for later.
- In a large frying pan, add olive oil and lightly sauté the barley.
- Now add the vegetable mixture and some of the broth. Gradually pour in the broth until the barley is almost cooked.
- Put in the shrimps and add the remaining broth.
- Add salt, pepper and thyme, give it a try and correct the taste if needed.
- For the final touch, add chopped parsley and serve.
- If you wish, you can sprinkle your orzo with some olive oil and lemon zest.