RECREATE THE GREEK TRADITIONAL TSOUREKI AT HOME
If you have not tried tsoureki, the Greek Easter bread before, then you are certainly missing out! Soft, fluffy with a beautiful brown semi-soft crust and an amazing stringy texture. This is the most flavorful tsoureki recipe you will ever try!
Indulge in the most delightful Greek easter recipe and recreate your own tsoureki at home!
1 kg flour
80 gr yeast
200 gr Cow Butter
250 gr sugar
1 glass of milk
1 tsp. Crushed mastic
1 tsp. grated mahlab pinch of salt pinch of vanilla
1 egg (to brush on the top part of the loaves)
½ cup sliced almonds
- Prepare the yeast: in a bowl, add yeast, half a glass of warm water, and 150gr of sifted flour; mix and leave in a warm place.
- In a mixer, beat 100 gr of Cow Butter, 220 gr of sugar, the eggs, the milk, the mastic, and the mahlab, as well as, the salt and vanilla, until it forms a dough.
- Slowly add the remainder of the sifted flour.
- Slow the mixer and begin to add the remaining butter; the dough is ready when it no longer sticks to the side of the bowl.
- Place the dough into a metallic bowl, cover with 2-3 towels, and place in oven at 40 degrees for 1 hour and let it rise.
- Take the dough out, knead it again for 2-3 minutes, and place in the oven for another ½ hour.
- Remove the dough and cut into 9 portions.
- Brush olive oil on a flat surface and turn each ball into a long, thin roll.
- Braid three rolls together (achieving a braid shape) and place one red egg on the end.
- Place the braided loaf on a pan that has been brushed with olive oil and which has parchment paper on it.
- Beat one egg in some water and brush the top of the tsoureki. If you’d like, you can also sprinkle almond slices on the top.
- Bake for 1 hour at 170 degrees until they have risen and have a nice, golden color.
Tsoureki is ready to enjoy! Good appetite!