RECREATE THE GREEK VASILOPITA
300 g butter, at room temperature
250 g icing sugar
1 tablespoon(s) granulated sugar
7 g mahlab
2 g mastic
1/2 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
orange zest, of 1-2 oranges
1 teaspoon(s) vanilla powder
4 eggs, at room temperature
75 g milk, 3.5%
400 g all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon(s) baking powder
For the New Year Cake
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350*F) Fan.
- In a mixer, beat the butter and icing sugar, with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Stop beating and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat for another 5 minutes. (It is important that the butter is at room temperature. The softer it is the fluffier your mixture will be.)
- While you are waiting, add the remaining ingredients from the 1st mixture (apart from the orange zest) and beat them in a blender along with a tablespoon of sugar, until they become powdery. When ready, add the orange zest and mix.
- Add this powdery mixture to the mixer and beat on low speed.
- Add all the ingredients from the 2nd mixture, in batches. Release the mixing bowl and add the ingredients from the 3rd mixture. Mix with a large spoon.
- Grease a round 25 cm spring form baking pan and dust with flour. Transfer the batter to the baking pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven and dust with icing sugar and serve!
- If you would like to follow the Greek tradition, wrap a coin and place it somewhere in the cake before you bake it! It will be a Lucky New Year for whichever family member or friend finds it in their slice!