SOFITEL’S SIGNATURE MACARONS
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 13 minutes
Servings: 30 macarons
105 g egg whites (4 medium eggs)
125 g granulated sugar
125 g almonds, blanched
125 g icing sugar pinch of salt
2 teaspoons of 2 food coloring pastes
For the garnish
300 g chocolate ganache
200 g marmalade
- Beat the almonds in a food processor along with the icing sugar until very finely ground.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve. If any large pieces are left, beat them in the food processor again and then pass them through the sieve.
- In a mixer’s bowl, add the egg whites and salt. Beat on high speed and add the sugar in 5 batches while beating to make the meringue.
- Use a spatula to transfer half of the meringue into a separate bowl.
- To the mixer, add the ground almonds and beat for a few seconds to combine.
- Add the remaining meringue with a spatula and gently fold.
- Divide the mixture into 3 separate bowls.
- In the first bowl, add the coloring food paste, to the second add the other coloring food paste and leave the third white. Mix the other two bowls with a spoon until the color is completely distributed.
- Transfer each bowl to a separate pastry bag.
- Line 2 baking sheets with a sheet of silpat and pipe out the macarons.
- Tap them on a counter so that the macarons even out and set them aside for 1 hour so that a film forms on their surface.
- Preheat oven to 130* C fan.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Remove from oven and set them aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Place the jellies and ganache into three separate pastry bags.
- Pipe one flavor on to each macaroon and cover with another piece to make a sandwich!
- To make the ganache: In a bowl, add 150 g heavy cream, 150 g couverture. Microwave for 1 ½ minutes at 800 Watts. Mix with a spatula.
- Repeat the same process to make all of the macarons and serve.